Sally Stubbs Bio & Resume A multi-award-winning playwright and educator, Sally also directs, performs and produces. Her scripts, published by Scirocco Drama, have been presented in Canada, Sweden, India, South Africa and the U.S. Sally’s new play Our Ghosts, is listed for 2020/21 publication; was livestreamed as part of #CanadaPerforms on May 2nd, 2020; received its initial production at Western Edge Theatre, Nanaimo, BC in Oct/Nov 2019; was an official selection of the 2018 Women Playwrights International Conference in Santiago, Chile; and was negotiating a 2020/21 production when Covid-19 shifted our world. In process: Polly & the Penthouse: A Spirited Musical, book & lyrics by Sally and composition & additional lyrics by Britt MacLeod; Underbelly, a TV pilot inspired by Canada’s first women police officers and Sally’s script And Bella Sang With Us. Pre-Covid, Sally’s play Centurions was in negotiations for production by The Centurions Project in collaboration with two Metro Vancouver venues.
Sally received her B.A., B.Ed., M.A. (Art History) and M.F.A. (Creative Writing) from the University of Victoria. She trained and performed in theatre in Canada, the USA and the UK. Recently, with Wet Ink Collective, she has been honing her screenwriting skills with renowned Vancouver filmmaker Peggy Thompson.
Sally is a proud co-founder and senior advisor of CASA, a Canadian and South African partnership between The Playwrights Guild of Canada’s Women’s Caucus and The African Women Playwrights Network which creates funding opportunities for women-identified playwrights living in South Africa. She served for three years as Women’s Caucus Chair and Editor for the Playwrights Guild of Canada. Sally has twice acted as a Jessie Theatre Awards Juror. She has served on the boards of both Touchstone Theatre and Playwrights’ Theatre Centre.
Sally was honoured to be awarded a Prime Minister’s Award for her work with theatre and youth.
Represented by Catherine Knights, Catalyst TCM, email@example.com.
SELECTED COMMISSIONS, RESIDENCIES, AWARDS & HONOURS:
- Invited to livestream reading of Our Ghosts as part of #CanadaPerforms, May 2nd, 2020. Director, R. Peake
- Selected for Or Festival of short plays: Doors & Windows. Havana Theatre, Vancouver, March 2020. Due to Covid 19 postponed to March 2021
- Excerpt of Our Ghosts selected for publication in Understorey Online Magazine, 2019.
- Keynote Speaker, Arts Club Theatre’s Leap Program, November 2019.
- Quarter Finalist, ScreenCraft stage play competition, 2019, Centurions.
- Concept to Realization Grant, The Centurions Project, Canada Council, 2019.
- Research & Creation Grant, Polly and the Penthouse, Canada Council, 2019
- Invited to attend Caravan Farm Theatre’s 2nd Annual Ntl Playwriting Retreat, May 2019.
- Awarded Residency & Showcase, August 2019, Evergreen Cultural Centre, The Centurions Project, Dir. LG Smith
- Awarded Developmental Residency, July 2019, Shadbolt Centre for the Arts: The Centurions Project, Dir. LG Smith
- Featured musical In Tune 2019, Touchstone Theatre/Fugue Theatre/New Magnetic North Festival Event, Polly & the Penthouse at the Penthouse Night Club, Dir. Roy Surette
- Semi-Finalist 2018 Ashland New Play Festival, Our Ghosts
- Quarter Finalist, ScreenCraft stage play competition, 2018, Spinning You Home.
- Awarded Exploratory Residency, spring 2018, Boca Del Lupo, The Centurions Project, Dir. LG Smith
- Commission to write lyrics & book, Polly & the Penthouse: A Spirited Musical, Fugue Theatre. In development with Fugue, Touchstone Theatre & the Penthouse Nightclub, 2018.
- Selected for presentation 2018 WPI Conference in Santiago, Chilé, Our Ghosts.
- Semi-Finalist, Little Black Dress 2018, presented in Milwaukee, Our Golden Years (now Doors and Windows).
- Two nominations, Jessie Awards 2017, Best Actress and Direction, And Bella Sang With Us, And Bella Collective, Dir. Sarah Rodgers with Ian Harmon.
- Pick of the Vancouver Fringe 2016, And Bella Sang With Us.
- Vancouver Courier Best of 2016, Jo Ledingham, And Bella Sang With Us.
- Juror, Theatre BC National Playwriting Competition, 2018/17, 2016/17 & 2015/16.
- Playwright in residence, Touchstone Theatre, Vancouver, Polly and the Penthouse.
- 4th Annual Writer in Residence 2015, City of Richmond, Fall 2015.
- Canada Council Development & Production Grant awarded July 2015 for workshop of Centurions, c2c Theatre, St. John’s, Nfld. AD: Nicole Rousseau.
- Founding member of The CASA Project, facebook.com/thecasaproject
- Invited to attend Women Playwrights International Conference 2015, Cape Town, S. June 29-July 4,2015 as playwright delegate (Centurions) and workshop co-presenter.
- Recipient of Government of Norway Bursary and Canada Council for the Arts Travel Grant to attend WPI Conference 2015, Cape Town, S. Africa.
- Project Assistance Grant Level II, Creative Writers, BC Arts Council, 2014, Our Ghosts.
- National Play Reading Series, New Groundswell Festival, Nightwood Theatre, Toronto, September 2014. Centurions.
- Suncor Stage One Festival, Lunchbox Theatre, Spinning You Home. Director: Jacqueline Russell.
- Women’s Work Festival, St. John’s, Nfld. Director/dramaturge Des Walsh.
- International Women Playwrights’ Conference, Stockholm, 2012, co-presenter seminar: Canadian Research-Informed Theatre.
- CC for the Arts Travel Grant, Stockholm, 2012.
- Commission, Green Thumb Theatre. Wrennie and the Butthead. AD: Patrick McDonald.
- Eugene O’Neill Playwriting Conference Shortlist 2011, Centurions.
- Enbridge Award (Established Playwright), February 2011, And Bella Sang With Us.
- Project Assistance Grant, Creative Writers, BC Arts Council, 2011, And Bella Sang.
- Playwright-in-Residence, 2009-10, Touchstone Theatre, Vancouver.
- Playwright Delegate, WPI Conference, Mumbai, 2009, Herr Beckmann’s People.
- Canada Council for the Arts Travel Grant, Mumbai, November 2009
- BC Arts Council Scholarship Award, Centurions, 2009.
- 3rd Annual Canada Peace Play Award (later known as Uprising Award), U. of Calgary, Herr Beckmann’s People, 2009.
- Gordon Armstrong Playwright’s Rent Award, 2008.
- Project Assistance Grant, Creative Writers, BCAC, 2006, Herr Beckmann’s People.
- Mother Cutter (co-adapted from Wreckage with Chris Cinnamon) nominated by Alberta Motion Picture Industry Association for ‘Best Short/Vignette’ (2006), selected for ‘Best of Alberta Shorts’, and nominated for ‘Alberta Centennial Award’, CIFF, 2005.
- Wreckage, Honourable Mention (‘Top 5’), Herman Voaden, 2005, Queen’s University.
- Wreckage, ON THE VERGE Edmonton (Magnetic North Festival), 2004. Director, Del Surjik.
- She’ll to the Wars, Special Merit prize, Canadian Ntl Playwriting Comp.
- Prime Minister’s Award for work with theatre and youth, 2005.
- Our Ghosts, Western Edge Theatre, Nanaimo, Oct/Nov 2019, Dir. Wendy Wearne.
- (Centurions) Showcase presentation by The Centurions Project, Evergreen Cultural Centre, Coquitlam, August 2019. Director: Lynna Goldhar Smith. Negotiations for premiere 2020/21 up in the air due to Covid 19.
- Spinning You Home, Spinners Collective, premiere, Vancouver Fringe Festival September 2018, Carousel Theatre. Director: Sally Stubbs.
- And Bella Sang With Us, Jan 2017, Firehall Arts Centre with And Bella Artists Collective, Vancouver, Dir: Sarah Rodgers with Ian Harmon.
- And Bella Sang With Us, And Bella Artists Collective, Vancouver Fringe, September 2016, Director: Sarah Rodgers with Ian Harmon.
- Kid Gloves, premiere, 2012, Firehall Arts Centre. Director: Donna Spencer.
- Spinning You Home, 2012, Tightrope Productions, Havana Theatre. Director: S. Stubbs.
- Herr Beckmann’s People, premiere, 2010, Flying Start, Touchstone Theatre & PTC, director Katrina Dunn, dramaturge Martin Kinch.
- Wreckage, production, Phoenix Theatre, Victoria, March 2010, director Fran Gebhard.
- Wreckage, traveling production, 2007, Tightrope Productions, Festival House Theatre, Vancouver & Pavilion Theatre, Kamloops. Director: Sally Stubbs.
- Wreckage, world premiere, 2005, New West Theatre, Lethbridge. Director: Gail Hanrahan.
- Short film, Mother Cutter, co-adapted from Wreckage. Director: C. Cinnamon, Calgary.
- She’ll to the Wars, Beare Pursuits Equity Co-op, 2000. Director, Johnna Wright.
PUBLISHED PLAYS, PUBLISHED EXCERPTS & UPCOMING PUBLICATION:
- Our Ghosts, upcoming publication 2021, Scirocco Drama, editor Glenda MacFarlane;
- Centurions, listed, upcoming, Scirocco, ed. MacFarlane;
- Spinning You Home, listed, upcoming, Scirocco, ed. MacFarlane;
- Excerpt Our Ghosts, Understorey Online Magazine, 2019, editor Natalie Meisner;
- And Bella Sang with Us, published Fall 2014, Scirocco, ed. MacFarlane;
- Herr Beckmann’s People, published Fall 2011, Scirocco, ed. MacFarlane;
- Centurions, excerpt, Winter 2010, Ryga: A Journal of Provocations, editor Sean Johnston.
- Wreckage, published Fall 2009, Scirocco, ed. MacFarlane.