Sally Stubbs is an award winning Vancouver-based playwright and educator who loves to clown. Her scripts have been produced, presented and studied in Canada, Sweden, India and South Africa. They include: Centurions; And Bella Sang with Us; Herr Beckmann’s People; Wreckage; and Spinning You Home. Sally was honoured to be the City of Richmond’s 4th Annual Writer-in-Residence, Fall 2015. In the works: plans for the coast to coast premiere of Centurions beginning in St. John’s, Newfoundland as well as a number of writing projects including Our Ghosts, a play about the father she never knew, the father who fell from the sky; Polly and the Penthouse: A Site-Specific Musical set in Vancouver’s legendary Penthouse Cabaret; and the collaborative writing of a drama education text.
SELECTED COMMISSIONS, WORKSHOPS, RESIDENCIES, AWARDS & HONOURS:
- September 2016 developmental reading of Wrennie and the Butthead commissioned by Green Thumb Theatre for Young People, AD, Patrick McDonald.
- A 2015/16 playwright in residence, Touchstone Theatre, Polly and the Penthouse, AD, Katrina Dunn.
- Attended October 2015 workshop of Centurions, c2c Theatre, St. John’s, as exploration for upcoming production. Co-Directors: Nicole Rousseau (stage), Justin Simms (film).
- 4th Annual Writer in Residence 2015, City of Richmond, Fall 2015.
- Canada Council Development & Production Grant awarded July 2015 for upcoming workshop of Centurions, c2c Theatre, St. John’s, NL. AD: Nicole Rousseau.
- Attended Women Playwrights International Conference 2015, Cape Town, S. Africa, June 29-July 4,2015 as playwright delegate (Centurions) and co-presenter of workshop: ‘Sculpting Plays from True Life Stories’;
- Recipient of Government of Norway Bursary and Canada Council for the Arts Travel Grant to attend WPI Conference 2015, Cape Town, S. Africa;
- Dramaturgical workshop on book of musical in process (Polly and The Penthouse), In Tune 2015 (The Art of Canadian Musicals), biennial conference/festival curated by Touchstone and Arts Club Theatres, Vancouver. Dramaturge: Katrina Dunn;
- Project Assistance Grant Level II, Creative Writers, BC Arts Council, 2014, Our Ghosts.
- National Play Reading Series, New Groundswell Festival, Nightwood Theatre, Toronto, September 2014. Centurions.
- Suncor Stage One Festival, Lunchbox Theatre, Spinning You Home. Director: Jacqueline Russell. Interim Artistic Director, Lunchbox: Pamela Halstead.
- Girls Gone Wilde Late Night Performance Cabaret and Workshop/Public Reading, And Bella Sang with Us, March 2014, Urban Curvz Theatre, Calgary.
- Women’s Work Festival, St. John’s, NL, Centurions, Director/dramaturge Des Walsh.
- International Women Playwrights’ Conference, Stockholm, 2012, co-presenter seminar: Canadian Research-Informed Theatre: What, Why, How
- Canada Council for the Arts Travel Grant, Stockholm, 2012.
- SceneFirst 2012, Richmond Gateway Theatre, And Bella, January 2012.
- Commission, Green Thumb Theatre. Wrennie and the Butthead. AD: Patrick McDonald.
- Eugene O’Neill Playwriting Conference Shortlist 2011, Centurions.
- Enbridge Award (Established Playwright), And Bella Sang With Us, 2011.
- Project Assistance Grant, Creative Writers, BC Arts Council, 2011, And Bella.
- Playwright-in-Residence, 2010- 2012, Firehall Arts Society, Vancouver.
- Playwright-in-Residence, 2009-10, Touchstone Theatre, Vancouver.
- Playwright Delegate, WPI Conference, Mumbai, 2009, Herr Beckmann’s People.
- Canada Council for the Arts Travel Grant, Mumbai, November 2009.
- BC Arts Council Scholarship Award, Centurions, 2009.
- 3rd Annual Canada Peace Play Award (now the Uprising Award), U. of Calgary, Downstage Society, Herr Beckmann’s People, 2009.
- Gordon Armstrong Playwright’s Rent Award, 2008.
- Project Assistance Grant, Creative Writers, BCAC, 2006, Herr Beckmann’s People.
- Mother Cutter nominated by Alberta Motion Picture Industry Association for ‘Best Short/Vignette’ (2006), selected for ‘Best of Alberta Shorts’, and nominated for ‘Alberta Centennial Award’, CIFF, 2005.
- Wreckage, Honourable Mention (‘Top 5’), Herman Voaden, 2005, Queen’s University.
- Wreckage, ON THE VERGE (Theatre New Works Festival, National Arts Centre & Playwrights Development Centres & The Citadel Theatre), Edmonton (Magnetic North Festival), 2004. Director, Del Surjik.
- She’ll to the Wars, Special Merit prize, Canadian National Playwriting Comp.
- Honourable Mention, Theatre B.C.’s Canadian Ntl. Playwriting Competition 1999 for Home Movies: An Interdisciplinary Drama (Video and Live Theatre).
- Prime Minister’s Award for work with theatre and youth
- SELECTED PRODUCTIONS:
- Centurions, upcoming TBA, St. John’s, NL, Directors: Nicole Rousseau, Justin Simms.
- And Bella Sang With Us, September 2016, And Bella Artists Collective, Vancouver Fringe Director: Sarah Rodgers.
- Our Golden Years, FemFest Shorts September 2016, Sarasvati Productions, Winnipeg.
- Kid Gloves, premiere, 2012, Firehall Arts Centre. Director: Donna Spencer.
- Spinning You Home, 2012, Tightrope Productions, Havana Theatre. Director: S. Stubbs.
- Herr Beckmann’s People, world premiere, 2010, Flying Start, Touchstone Theatre & PTC, director Katrina Dunn, dramaturge Martin Kinch.
- Wreckage, production, Phoenix Theatre, Victoria, March 2010, director Fran Gebhard.
- Spinning You Home, premiere, 2007, Sarasvati Prod., Winnipeg. Director: Hope McIntyre
- Wreckage, traveling production, 2007, Tightrope Productions, Festival House Theatre, Vancouver & Pavilion Theatre, Kamloops. Director: Sally Stubbs.
- Wreckage, world premiere, 2005, New West Theatre, Lethbridge. Director: Gail Hanrahan.
- Short film, Mother Cutter, co-adapted from Wreckage. Director: C. Cinnamon, Calgary.
- She’ll to the Wars, Beare Pursuits Equity Co-op, 2000. Director, Johnna Wright.
- And Bella Sang with Us, Fall 2014, Scirocco Drama.
- Herr Beckmann’s People, Fall 2011, Scirocco Drama.
- Wreckage, Fall 2009, Scirocco Drama.
- Centurions, extract, Winter 2010, Ryga: A Journal of Provocations, the Ryga Initiative, Okanagan College in association with the Okanagan Institute, editor Sean Johnston.
- Spinning You Home, listed for future publication, Scirocco Drama.
- B.A. & M.A. (Art History), B.Ed., M.F.A. (Writing), University of Victoria
- Theatre training in Canada, U.S. and U.K. (Detailed information available upon request)
MEMBERSHIPS & VOLUNTEER: Playwrights Guild of Canada; Playwrights Theatre Centre; Playwrights Workshop Montreal; GVPTA; B.C. College of Teachers; Wet Ink Collective; CASA Award, member, Sub-Committee of PGC; Theatre BC Playwriting Competition Juror 2016; Women’s Caucus Chair and Editor Women’s Caucus Newsletter, September 2012-June 2015, PGC; Jessie Jury for New Scripts, 2013/14 season and Chair, Jessie Jury for New Scripts, 2014/15; former Board Member for Touchstone Theatre and Playwrights Theatre Centre, Vancouver.
For queries regarding professional or amateur royalties for Sally’s plays please contact:
Catherine Knights, Catalyst TCM, Inc.
312 – 100 Broadview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario Canada M4M 3H3
Phone: 416. 645.0935